I kicked the girls out last night right before I went to work. Well, not exactly kicked, but I did drop them once and banged the tub against the door (all three doors.) When I got home, it was in the 50's and my mam-hen heart was torn. Should I bring them back inside where it was warm and free of drafts? Pros: 1) Warmth; Cons: 1) Clean the brooder cause it stank something fierce 2) Be mad at the dust for another day 3) Feel the tension in the house from Ms. Claus's imminent death and constant squawking...I left them outside, but I did get the heat lamp and clip it inside their brand spanking new home. They seemed to like that. With our bathroom window open, I fell asleep to Ms. Claus's squawking. Sorry Neighbors.
When I woke, Eddie came home and gave me the news...Ms. Claus passed on. I'm not sure if I should have rejoiced or cried. I did neither. Thankful, I guess, that I didn't have to take her for a drive in the country. Maybe I should have done that just to remind myself that these are birds (pets, yes) but part of the food chain. But, well, I'm emotionally invested. So on with the day. It didn't rain like the weather person said it was supposed to (surprise!); instead it was beautifully sunny. So, Eddie in a drunk-like sleep deprived state from working all night, worked all morning on the run while I finished painting. I put the straw in the coop and he put the wheels on the run. Then it was warm enough to put the birds in the run and see what they do. They were scared at first and clumped together in a corner, but soon gained courage to explore. It was so cute to see our girls in their new home with plenty of space to roam and forage and sun bathe! Next step, hope they are all girls and then get that permit.
No comments:
Post a Comment