Thursday, June 23, 2011

Slowly but Surely

The garden is growing, slowly and with a few setbacks, but surely.  The birds have eaten most of the snap peas, lettuce, and Swiss chard.  I had to put up chicken wire to keep them out so we'll see if that works.  I worry constantly about the chickens eating the potato leaves.  I dreamt (nightmares?) about it all night two nights ago.  I think I may have 3 bean plants out of the 30 seeds that I planted, probably from the birds snacking.  Most of the mint has wilted.  BUT...we do have some healthy plants too!  I put the tomatoes in this week from the IFA, didn't add any egg shells and roughed up the roots a bit (oops), staked them with stolen sticks from the neighbors rummage pile, added wood ash around the stems to detract bugs, and said a little prayer.  I'm pretty excited about them.  The pepper plants remain the same, alive but squatty.  I may need to add some calcium.  The kale is awesome! I probably need to thin it out, but not sure where they will go.  I planted some summer and winter squash and am not convinced but hopeful.  The dill, cilantro, basil, and leeks are beautiful too.  A stalk or two of the mint is green in both places and supposedly propagates fast and furiously so I'm hopeful for some Moroccan tea some day.  And my indoor humidified oregano is looking lovely and hopefully setting roots. 
I would love to try some of the techniques that the late self-sufficient expert John Seymour used such as planting tomatoes on top of gravel (ring culture), grow bags, and deep beds (I think we are doing this with our raised beds). 

Kale, chard, lettuce  aka bird food :(

Fluffernutter

Potatoes 

Staked Tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment