Shep and I went kayaking yesterday. We've had our kayak for a week now and have had three adventures on our Jordan River. This one was a "good" one though. We set out from our house at 700 S and headed downstream. We went about two miles and then turned around. I was pooped already and Shep was tired and hungry but we didn't have a choice, we had to paddle upstream to get back. Or hitchhike from some random strangers, which I was seriously considering. Then one other option presented itself...
Backing up a second, on the way downstream, we went through a canoe chute. It was a very narrow section under a bridge that was designed only for canoes/kayaks. The rest of the river had a big 4 foot drop off, not suited for water craft. We navigated through the chute and had a blast and got all wet! But the problem was on the way back. There is no way to get back up stream; we had to portage around the chute. And the one kayaker who past us just a few minutes prior stated, "It is possible to portage, albeit very difficult with a little one. And there are lots of homeless camps in the area. But, yea, it is possible." In hind sight, it is NOT possible. But since that was our only option, we had to try. So I tossed Shep onto the super steep bank and started the ascent up the river bank with the kayak. I managed to stabilize the kayak and carried Shep up the bank and then went back down for the kayak. It had to be a 80 degree slope! Shep started freaking out about the paddle and, yup, low and behold the paddle was indeed in the river-floating away! I could only focus on getting up the bank with the 60 lb kayak and not start freaking out myself about the paddle. So I did get Shep and the kayak up safely, despite some cactus scrapes all over my legs. But, as I summitted the bank, I realized that we were locked inside the power plant gates! There were very tall barbed wire fences all around us and lots of signs that mentioned the high voltage area. An old-school padlocked gate was on the north end and railroad tracks on the outside of the south end. No homeless camps though. I thought of calling a friend to come help us, however they would not have been able to get us out of the fence or walk Shep and the kayak down the railroad tracks even if we could get out on that end. So I called the Non-emergency SLC Police Dept. Within a few minutes, three big fire engines came to our rescue! Out of their 50 keys, none worked on the north gate, so we settled on getting the good 'ole fire engine ladder and climbing over the fence. Then second thought, they brought a raft and paddle and suggested Shep and I get back into the water in our kayak and use their paddle to meet up with them downstream past the power plant. But then, the power company chief came with the appropriate key and simply unlocked the gate-a bit anticlimactic :) Shep and I buckled into the big fire engine and they took us to our truck where we loaded the kayak and drove the two blocks home. Phew, I didn't have to paddle upstream anymore AND Shep's wildest dreams came true...getting to ride in a fire truck! They were kind enough to offer to take a photo with Shep in front of the big engine with the lights flashing. Jesus is the one who truly rescues and sometimes he sends firemen to rescue pregnant, stranded, locked in kayakers :) Thank you Rose Park E7!



No comments:
Post a Comment