Monday, August 25, 2014

Spontaneity


We still got it!  Despite having a toddler we can still be spontaneous occasionally.  
Joel had a 40 th birthday party planned for over a month ago in Chicago and much of my family was planning on attending. I desperately wanted to go but flights were in the $600 range. So we planned on going camping in the Sawtooth mountains of Idaho instead. But I confess, I was pouty about it. It's not often that I get to see both sides of my family in one place making it easy to catch up w lots of people in one trip. 

A coworker asked to switch around  our Tuesday  schedule and a glimmer of hope resurrected on my heart. Flights are usually cheaper on Tuesdays so I had to check again, for the millionth time, for a reasonable flight and found one less than $600. Still expensive but Ed and I agreed it was worth it. 
And it was!! 

Shep and I ended up with a red eye and Funcle Choppy graciously picked us up early the next morning. We got to sleep for an hour before going over to my dad and Jean's for brunch with Jeff and Emma and the kids. It just so happened that my aunt and uncle from Mesquite were in town! How cool that we got to see even more family than expected! Then Dad, Jeff, Shep, and I all headed up to Chicago. It was a sweet time connecting just the three of us.  We arrived early and Shep and I surprised everyone. So fun! It really was so fun to get to see lots of my family. 
And then that night we got to stay with my aunt Kate, Nick, and Joe which was a delight. I did miss seeing my other aunts, Pat and Ginny. Then we drove back over to Joel's and visited more with the hangovered clan before driving back with my mom. We had to stop at the dairy farm for cheese, ice cream, and French onion soup, of course. Then, we had a whole day to hang with Emma and Mary, Ethan, and Clara just doing summer stuff- riding bikes, playing at the park, chalking sidewalks, swimming, and cooking out. It was awesome. 


Then Another early morning trip to the airport to wrap up the spontaneity. What a surprise gift to get to be with my family!  It was a bummer that Eddie wasn't able to come, and he was dearly missed, but I am so thankful to have gotten to go.  

1 comment:

  1. Great pics, Josie! You and Shep look so happy. Isn't family just wonderful!? Love you guys! <3

    ReplyDelete