Monday, July 21, 2014

The Qincenera Commercial


We've been "blessed" with a 2 night stay at The Little America, a swanky hotel about a mile from our home. This came about because our neighbor does props and finds locations for commercials and asked to see inside our house for such a purpose. I had never met this neighbor before so thought it was kinda weird but went with it. He ended up coming back with all the producers and artists to make a decision about using our home for a commercial about a poor Latina family who pulls together to throw their daughter a quincenera, a 15th birthday party that is somewhat of a right of passage for Hispanic girls. 
It's been a bit more hectic than we anticipated. I've worked my two days that I usually have off so I have not been able to clean (at least that has been my excuse:) so I feel super embarrassed that tons of  people have been in my dusty house using our nasty bathroom. and we haven't been able to quite enjoy the time at the hotel as much as I wanted. I just feel so rushed and scattered. And bouncy from jumping back to the house to get work clothes and make sure Willie is ok and fed and the garden is watered and get a quick breakfast before heading off to work. 
Oh and then we bought a truck which is like a million steps of logistics in actually getting the truck. But we finally got a truck!! 
And then there's the hotel. Within the span of two hours, Shep had managed to spill a whole jar of apricot jam onto the carpet ( I told him that hurt my feelings. He had no sympathy :(), spilled poop from his diaper onto the carpet, unwrapped a roast beef wrap onto the carpet, scribbled in pen on the white bedspread, and broke a glass. Oh and refused a nap. So we went swimming in the pool and giggled and giggled and giggled. That made things all better. 


Then on the way home to switch out the cars and check on Willie, I got pulled over by the police for outdated plates. In the one mile from our house!! I try to explain the weird situation about the commercial and us staying in a hotel and not having a screwdriver to put the plates on that I got just two hours before.  thankfully, he had compassion and was intrigued about the commercial. 
So we get back into our home to find all kinda things broken and out of place. "Um Babe, do you know where the diapers are?"  "I can't get in, the door handle is broken." "Um, were you wrapping Christmas presents in the bathroom? Cause I found the wrapping paper." 
But the redeeming parts of the commercial are many: a house cleaner came and cleaned our home. I feel the dust of my soul has lifted with that cleaning.  And the frame to the Flamenca singer was broken and they are fixing it with a nice frame with glass. Wow. They certainly can't replace the sentimentality of our broken Moroccan plates that my Kholmes gave us for our wedding, but they are trying. And I appreciate that immensely. 
I'm excited to see this commercial and be inspired by the message. 
I've realized that I've become a bit more attached to "stuff" than I ever have been in my life and more than I really want to be.  Lord you are enough for me. Money and stuff can't buy me your peace. 
Oh and I might hire a house cleaner more regularly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment