Monday, July 2, 2012

Introducing...Plumpers!!

After a year of trying and 6 months of seeing a fertility specialist, we are pregnant!

So here's the story...I have been concerned about having a child while I'm in the Doctorate of Nursing Practice Program because of the intensity and constant stress.  But, I am 32 and have learned of all the increased risks of advanced maternal age in my genetics class so didn't want to start trying when I was 33.  But after listening to the wise advice of my father-in-law and mother who said that "there is never a good time to have a baby," and "you will never have enough money to raise a child" I semi-stopped worrying about the perfect time and age. So we started trying.  Also, with the knowledge that my cycles were very irregular, we knew it wouldn't exactly be easy (as if we are in control of these things!)  We wouldn't need to wait for a whole year, which is the common thing to do when not conceiving, before seeing a specialist because we knew something was off with my cycles.  So we saw Dr. Hammoud almost every month to do blood tests, ultrasounds, start Clomid, talk about next steps, do a sonohystogram (they squirted water in my uterus to see if the Fallopian tubes were open.  Mine were not at that time.  Could have been a muscle contraction or mucous that plugged them during that test.)

For the summer, we decided to hold off on trying to conceive because of the timing of school.  If I were to get pregnant over the summer, I would end up delivering in the middle of the last semester of my program when I will have clinicals like a full time job.  If we waited a few months, I will have graduated and the timing would be perfect.   And the emotional break from trying was wonderful!  But, that's not exactly what God had in mind...

This brings us to June.  I was asked to join a 12 person team to run a 36 hour relay race along the back of our Wasatch Mountains called Ragnar.  I had been training for a BIG 17 mile trail race the following weekend so I felt fairly confident that the relay wouldn't be too bad except for the lack of sleep.  My first leg was only 3.5 miles flat.  Decked out in my running dress, rested up, carbo-loaded, excited...I felt awful, PMSy, my back hurt, legs were heavy, uuuggg.  My second leg was a 7.5 miler, flat.  I prepped with some ibuprofen and felt fine-ish.  My last leg was a 4 miler, all up hill.  I ran slowly but felt good, also prepped with ibuprofen (oops!)  After that race, I was gearing up for my next one the following weekend.  I still felt PMSy so was getting frustrated and annoyed.  I was praying that I would start my period so that I could get it over with before the big race (God cares about these things :)  My last cycle was 42 days and since I had increased my mileage significantly over the past month and half, I wasn't too concerned that I was on day 53 of the present cycle.  Out of frustration, I peed on a pregnancy stick and the second line was soooo faint.  I wasn't convinced and asked Eddie for a second opinion.  He wasn't totally sure, but he was way more excited.  I had lots of school work that day so I tried to not think about it until I went for a short run to let my mind wander.  I worked at the urgent care that night so I peed on another stick there.  Nothing showed up, not even the control line.  I was so confused.  I peed a little more and both lines were like BAM!  Now I was convinced and excited and concerned about what to do about my big race (I know, I'm obsessed.)  I was also very realistic about a possible miscarriage and unsure about ectopic pregnancy since the last test showed my Fallopian tubes closed (could sperm get up there and then the muscles contract again and block the fertilized egg? Not sure.)  I remembered at some point from Dr. Hammoud's office that if we conceive, we should come back for a viability ultrasound.  We set up an appointment for a week away.  During that week, we were excited but also very cautious about getting our hopes up too high.  We were excited to share with our families as we felt this was their joy just as much as ours.  Needless to say, they were all excited.  Emilee had been praying so earnestly that we would get pregnant - I know there is power in prayer.

Of course, I was very concerned about my big race and the possibility of miscarriage.  I had trained fairly well but the race would still be far beyond my current fitness level.  Exercise is great during pregnancy, but you're not supposed to increase, just maintain your fitness level.  We decided to go by my mom's wise counsel that it probably would be fine, but if anything did happen, I would feel terrible.  So I didn't run and we went camping and rafting out at Flaming Gorge instead (see previous post.)

This brings us to Thursday at Dr. Hammoud's office for the viability ultrasound.  The medical assistants were very excited pre-u/s, but we were soooo nervous.  It was a "viability" ultrasound which just sounds ominous.  Immediately we all could see the baby and the heartbeat.  He turned on the sound and we could hear the heartbeat!!  He said it looks to be 7 weeks 2 days, healthy at this point, with a due date of February 12, 2013.  Miscarriage at this point is <5%.  We both let out the breath that we were holding up to that point.  I'm not exactly sure how this could have happened because we used the barrier method during the 3 weeks when I thought I was potentially ovulating, but we apparently conceived right in the middle of those three weeks!  I keep track of my cycle data on an app on my phone and Ed thinks I may have entered the data incorrectly.  Either that or we are the 1% that still conceived using that form of contraception!   It's a miracle either way!  We are thrilled and so amazed at how awesome God is.  I will trust him with how school will work out in the spring semester.  We definitely will need lots of help!  I think we're just as excited for our families as we are ourselves.  The next step is find a midwife or doctor.  If everything goes according to plan, we will have the 12 week ultrasound that determines size and genetic abnormalities (we are praying for none!! Please join with us.)  Then we'll determine the sex of the baby and leave the name secret until the delivery (except for "Plumpers" which was decided on just weeks before it was conceived.)  We will deliver at the University of Utah hospital because that's where our insurance covers.  Other than that, we are clueless :)

Please join us in giving God thanks and praise for this miracle.  Pray also for the health of this little baby, the destiny that he or she will grow and live into, his or her salvation and trust in Jesus, the perfect name, decisions what to do/where to go post graduation, and provision for all our needs.  Thankfully, I haven't had morning sickness or too much fatigue.  Pray this continues throughout the pregnancy so that I can do well in clinicals.
We are SO excited and excited to walk this journey with you (whoever you are that actually reads this silly little blog.)
The little nugget- the size of a raspberry @ 7 weeks.

Mallory gave us our first little baby gift- a super soft giraffe cuddly security blanket/burp rag.  Not looking forward to all the spit up, eww.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Eddie and Josie! We are so excited for you, and for the Grandmas and Grandpas, too. We will be looking forward to updates.
    Marcia O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! We are so happy for you both. I was trying to think of a good name for the baby, but when I saw Plumpers...that's got to be the best name ever!!! I can't wait to hear the story of how you picked the name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! We am so excited for you all! Congratulations.
    We love you,
    Marcia & Fox

    ReplyDelete