Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas 2012

We had a wonderful Christmas this year.  We love the Christmas season as we reflect on Christ's coming and what that means for us.  It's a time of recognizing his power and grace in our lives and the hope and peace that we receive out of his grace.  The song most powerful for me this year was surprisingly NOT Dolly Parton's "Hard Candy Christmas" but instead "Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus" by Charles Wesley.



Come Thou long expected Jesus
Born to set Thy people free
From our fears and sins release us
Let us find our rest in Thee
Israel's strength and consolation
Hope of all the earth Thou art
Dear desire of every nation
Joy of every longing heart
Born Thy people to deliver
Born a child and yet a King
Born to reign in us forever
Now Thy gracious kingdom bring
By Thine own eternal spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone
By Thine all sufficient merit
Raise us to Thy glorious throne


We definitely recognize and rejoice in the Christmas miracle of getting to see both of our families this holiday season.  We met up with the Decker family in Las Vegas and spent wonderful time together, eating lots of good food (of course!), hiking in Red Rocks, and just relaxing.  Then I finished out the semester and passed my standardized patient exam and big project paper after much stress.  Shaun, Jamie, and Suz came from Austin for a visit, which was amazing.  Then we flew out to Indy for an extremely restful and fun week with family.  Here's the month in summary.

Willie and I decorating

Ed, Tim, Greg, and I at Red Rocks

I made Grandma Minks' German Stollen bread for the first time.  This is a recipe that has been past down, perfected by my dad.  I wanted to keep the tradition alive and remember my grandma this year.

Shaun, Jamie, and Suz out on the slopes

We all went to the Children's Museum with our friend David.  I'm not sure who had more fun, the adults or the kids.

Shaun and Ed wearing the same "Dad-Jams" that Jamie and I got them a couple years ago.

Willie loves the snow!

I've been nesting, I think:  I made wool diapers! Apparently they're super absorbent.

Mallory and Kerry threw me a baby shower and the day before they gifted me with a henna'd belly.  

David and Debbie came over for our annual cookie making.  He made sure to "clean up" all the sprinkles. 

I made kolaches! Ed was obsessed and could not stop thinking/talking about them for a full 24 hours.  By then, we had eaten them all.

Mary dancing on Christmas morning.
Gigi reading to the kids

It was a Packer Christmas for Eddie

Ethan and Emma sledding

Polar bear made it to the top of the hill!



Grandpa and Efun
We ALL did a workout on Christmas morning that left us sore for a couple of days.  
As we return to Salt Lake for a new year, we are fully rested and excited for all the new beginnings this year.  We can hardly wait to meet Plumpers face to face!  He will rock our world!  And we're hopeful for more spiritual depth and more relational depth within our community here.  We're excited for great clinical experiences and graduation!!  We're excited and grateful to have to depend on family and friends to help us with Plumpers.  And finally, we're excited to see where God leads us into exciting adventures in the long run as well as the day to day.  We wish you the happiest of New Years and much excitement in the adventures God takes you on too!

1 comment: