Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Rock-A-Thon 2013 is Complete

I can't believe it's over.  Rock-A-Thon 2013 has come and gone.  I was sooo worried about how I would be able to finish my nurse practitioner degree in my last semester while having a baby and then needing to care for him.  I knew it had to work out but I had no idea how it would look.  I had to trust that God is good and would provide.  No surprise, he did.  Loved Ones, our family and friends, came to our rescue.  When Eddie and I both had to work or go to clinical, our Loved Ones came and loved on our little boy and us.  We truly cannot thank you enough.  Thank you for spending your money, vacation days, energy, and love on us.  Thank you for cooking and cleaning and making yourselves at home.  I had given myself a week to slow the tears of thankfulness, but as I write this, they are welling up again.  I can hardly believe all the stress I had in anticipating this last semester has ended and how thankful we are.  Shep is a rolly-polly bundle of joy and we want to say thank you for participating in his earliest months.  Thank you for feeding him well, putting him to sleep so he can grow, and making him happy.  I hope you have enjoyed spending time with him.  I know he has loved spending time with you all.  His smiles tell us so.  Thank God he has started to laugh or else it would be too quiet around the house.  Here are some of our favorite pics from Rock-A-Thon 2013.

When Shep was just 10 days old, we went snowshoeing with Greg and Susie and their small group that came up from Houston for a ski retreat weekend.


Proud Grandpa

Just before Eddie had to go back to work and I back to clinicals, we decided to take advantage of the time off and cross off another spot on our Utah Bucket List: Goblin Valley St. Park and the San Rafael Swell slot canyons.  Eddie is teaching Shep how to crossfit already.


Our first guest for Rock-A-Thon:  Martina Clifton from Austin.  She was 30 weeks pregnant with her first  at the time.  It was Parenting 101 for both of us!  Here we just hiked to the top of the Living Room.  She was such a natural with Shep and I had no concerns about leaving Shep for the first time with her.  I'm confident she is doing wonderfully with her beautiful little boy, Ira, now too.

Next up were Jeff and Emilee from Indy.  Jeff had planned on coming out to help with Rock-A-Thon and Emilee just couldn't stay away-thankfully!  I cannot imagine the time without her.  They were so much fun; tons of laughs the entire time.  Here, Emma, Shep, and I spontaneously did a home makeover to the upstairs guest room when the guys were out skiing.  Funcle Choppy and Aunt Emma were awesome with Shep and so affirming.  Over the past three years, school has worn down my confidence in myself, so to hear affirming words from those who know me well really did a number on my heart.  Thank you!  I think I needed that to help me be a better mother to Shep and to trust my instincts with him.






Next up was Susie from Houston.  She stayed two weeks.  You are supposed to lose weight after having a baby, but I'm pretty sure we gained some weight from Susie's amazing cooking.  She loved on Shep so hard, it was difficult prying him from her grasp for bedtime :)  She definitely spoiled him with her love.  While in town, Susie got to enjoy some of the perks of  Salt Lake such as a couple cooking classes.  We learned how to make tamales and tortillas.

Eddie, Susie and Shep went to the tulip festival while I was in clinical
We unfroze the placenta and planted it under the honeycrisp apple tree.  I now am a true "Earth Mother".  By the way, the "placenta tree" has little apples on it already and it's only one year old! 

B. Tibbs is a friend who was living in Salt Lake until just a few weeks ago.  She babysat for a  full day when Ed and I had a scheduling conflict.  She was one of three babysitters that we enlisted during Rock-A-Thon: Candace DuRegger, Amy Murphy, and B.Tibbs.  Thank you all sooo much!

Uncle Tim came in from San Francisco to surprise Eddie for his birthday weekend.  He was scouting out the city...we hope he moves here.

Just discovering his smile

Crazy Aunt Jennifer came in from Houston.  She and Shep made googly eyes at each other in the back seat while we toured the town.
We went to Austin for a weekend in May for Poozle's wedding.  Here we are waiting in line for 3 hours for Franklin's BBQ.  Though it doesn't look like it from Shep's face, it was worth it.  Best BBQ ever! And great company!


Shep was a champ on the flights.

Next up, Gigi.  She came in from Indy and stayed for two weeks.  We had a great time, again ate great food, did some nice hikes, and enjoyed a clean home.  She even cleaned our windows!  I was sooo sad to see her leave.  Shep's personality was really starting to come out and I could tell he loves her so much.



Last but not least, Valerie, my Mother Once Removed, came from Louisville.  Like Jennifer, not having much experience with babies, she was a little nervous at first, but warmed up quickly.  She was a lifesaver while I finished my last clinical hours.  We ate like kings with her cooking.  And she and Shep fell in love and mutually melted each other's hearts.




Now, it's just Mom, Dad, and this guy.  Again, we are so thankful for all your love and support.  We certainly could not have done these past 4 months without you.  I'm not sure that I would have graduated at all. Yikes!  I've had waves of relief and thankfulness come over me that overwhelm my heart.  I read a few parenting books before Shep was born that said to limit visitors in your home; that the bonding time between the mom and dad and baby is so important.  I had grieved that a little, knowing that would not be a possibility due to school.  But in the end, having our Loved Ones in our home, watching Shep and taking care of us, was the best thing imaginable.  God's provision.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment